- "Down and dirty for those times when the heavy artillery is low on ammo."
- —Turok: Dinosaur Hunter manual
The Knife is a weapon that first appears in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (and other subsequent titles) as the player's first weapon of choice.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
In Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, the Knife appears as a basic hunting knife with a brown grip. Tal'Set seems to have owned it himself and is seen in some cutscenes wielding the knife, as well as in various artwork, 3D renders, and comics.
The Knife returns in Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, after being replaced by the Talon in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. This time it is referred to as the Blade. It is a Bowie Knife and is exclusive to Joseph Fireseed. As before, it serves as the player's first weapon of choice, although only if the player has selected Joseph. Since it is a Bowie Knife, it has a larger blade and sports a black grip. It can be upgraded to the Razor Wind.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
In both Dinosaur Hunter and Shadow of Oblivion, the Knife plays very similarly. Being the first weapon at the players disposal, alongside the bow, it is used to take out enemies with quick slices. Even in later levels, the Knife can still prove useful, as it can take out weaker, smaller enemies.
The Knife is most effective against Giant Beetles, Leapers, humans, and sometimes Giant Dragonflies in Dinosaur Hunter. Since most of the enemies previously stated are weaker, most of them can be taken out with one to three swings. This technique is used to conserve ammo, rather than wasting bullets on the smaller enemies.
When used against bigger enemies, like humans, the Knife can be effective at certain points. Most Poachers can be killed with one swing, while others like Ancient Warriors will take much more effort to kill. It is best for the player to flank enemies from behind as backstabbing can kill any enemy in one hit, but there is a specific area behind them that the player must hit in order for the backstab to count. Ideally, this tactic should only be attempted if the player is low on ammo.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although Joshua Fireseed's outfit in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil has a knife strapped to his hip, he never uses it. This knife cannot be equipped and is only used as a costume accessory.
- This is one of two weapons in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter that causes enemies to drop the rare Mortal Wound power-up. The second is the Tek Bow with regular arrows.
- This is the only weapon that can be used underwater in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs
- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Seen, but not used)
- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (GBC)
- Turok: Rage Wars (GBC)
- Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
- Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion (GBC)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Dickson, Bill (March 4, 1997). "Weapons & Ammunition". Turok: Dinosaur Hunter manual. United States: Acclaim Entertainment. p. 12.
|Weapons of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter|
|Weapons of Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion|