A giant Pteranodon was set to appear as a boss battle in the game Turok but was ultimately cut.
The Pteranodon makes its first appearance in Turok: Evolution's first level. They are large, with a yellow coloration running all along their bodies and wings. They have large, long beaks, and their wingspan is massive, while their bodies are smaller and less muscular.
In Dynamite Entertainment's Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, the Pteranodon appears to be black in coloration and is covered in thin, black, hair-like filaments. It is also enormous, a lot larger than known Pteranodon specimens. Its feet have claw-like talons, as opposed to the more proper, "crocodile"-like feet of regular Pteranodon.
In gameplay, these creatures are not hostile or threatening. They usually simply perch on cliffs, or they fly around with static animations.
They are vulnerable to weapons fire, as seen in Evolution, where the player can easily harm and kill them, causing them to fall from the sky, or their perch. In other cases, such as in the 2008 reboot, they are invincible and simply fly around the level, not caring about the player or the inhabitants of the level.
Unlike most creatures, pterosaurs usually possess below-average character models. Whether or not this is due to the player not being meant to look at them up close, or if they are simply less focused on compared to others, is not clear.
ComicsEditA version of Pteranodon appears in almost every Turok comic book series.
Pteranodon debuts in the second arc of Dynamite's Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, making its first appearance in issue #5. The animal is the ridden mount of Altani.
- Pteranodon, or a similar species of pterosaur, were originally meant to appear in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, as seen in certain advertisement screenshots. The Dinosaur Hunter website mentioned "Artillery-packing Pterodactyls" as one of the game's main selling points.
- The Pteranodon is only one of two creatures that cannot be killed in Turok, the other being the Brachiosaurus.
- Pteranodons in Turok were originally supposed to be fought, to support this there are multiple unused animations like attack ones.
List of appearancesEdit
- Four Color Comics 596 (First appearance)
- Four Color Comics 656
- Turok, Son of Stone 3
- Turok (1997)
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (2014)
Notes and referencesEdit
|Enemies of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter|
|Wildlife and Enemies of Turok: Evolution|
|Enemies of Turok|
|Cut Content of Turok|