- "A sophisticated bow with added strength, this is the first step in distance fighting."
- —Turok: Dinosaur Hunter manual
The Tek Bow is an iconic weapon of the Turok franchise, first introduced as Turok's signature weapon in Valiant's 1993 comic, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, before being featured in Acclaim Entertainment's 1997 video game, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.
Becoming a mainstay of the Acclaim series, the Tek Bow would feature in the original trilogy of Turok titles, before making its final appearance in Turok: Evolution. Prior to the game's cancellation, the Tek Bow was slated to return in the sequel to Evolution, Turok: Resurrection.
In Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, the Tek Bow has the design of a compact bow made of metal, with some parts colored a velvet-like red.
The Tek Bow returns in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil; however, unlike before, the Tek Bow is not available at the start. This version of the bow is made of iron and still maintains the compact design, sporting red stripes reminiscent of its predecessor's color scheme. The Tek Bow now has a scope that can be toggled for sniping.
The Tek Bow of Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is an upgrade of Danielle Fireseed's Bow. Its appearance now has a draw string that can extend further, and it can only shoot Tek arrows. The bow now sports a light grey color to it. Like its predecessor, the Tek Bow can be used for sniping (by pressing right on the Nintendo 64 controller's directional pad), although the bow itself lacks a scope.
In Turok: Evolution, the Tek Bow arguably looks much more threatening than its predecessors and is not made of any metallic material. This bow appears to be made of animal bone, and it has a red pattern design to it. The Tek Bow now has its scope attachment back.
In Turok: Evolution, the Tek Bow functions as a separate weapon to the original Bow. It isn't a starting weapon, but can be found in "Jungle Hunter." Upon retrieval, the Tek Bow effectively replaces the bow, featuring a wider array of arrows, and a two-stage sniper scope.
Unlike the Bow, the Tek Bow requires a consistent charged shot to fire, however, it features more stopping power. Exclusive to the Tek Bow are poison arrows, which grant the ability to fatally poison enemies from a range. Arrows for the weapon can be retrieved in a similar manner to the Bow. However, poison arrows are retrieved as normal arrows.
The Tek Bow includes a two-stage scope, featuring a zoom much more extreme than the comparable sniper scope of the Pistol. With no spread or projectile drop off of any kind, this enables the Tek Bow to be a more powerful sniper-based weapon when the scope is tied with explosive or poison arrows.
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Tek Arrows: Restocks 5 Tek arrows.
- Tek Quiver: Restocks 10 Tek arrows.
- Regular Quiver: Restocks 15 standard arrows.
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
- Weapon (Tek Bow): Restocks 10 Tek arrows
- Tek Arrows: Restocks 3 Tek arrows
- Tek Quiver: Restocks 5 Tek arrows
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
- Weapon (Upgrade): Does NOT restock any ammo.
- Quiver: Since the weapon shares its ammo with the regular bow, this pick up restocks 5 arrows for both weapons.
- Weapon (Tek Bow); Restocks 10 standard arrows.
- Explosive Quiver: Restocks 10 explosive arrows.
- Poison Quiver: Restocks 8 poison arrows.
- The Tek Bow can be considered the trademark of the Turok series, as it appears in many posters, covers, 3D renders, and artwork.
- The Tek Bow may be something that is granted to every Turok, as every playable character that has the title of Turok has this weapon at their disposal.
- It is one of the few weapons that appears in every Turok game of the original series with the exception of Turok: Rage Wars.
- A common error with this weapon in the series is that the first half of the weapon is visible, while the other half is below the screen. Though in some games, the left half clearly is not visible when the whole weapon is not as obscured.
- This is one of two weapons in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter that can make fallen enemies drop the Mortal Wound, the other weapon being the Knife.
- Though the weapon is not available in Turok, Tek arrows are obtainable for use with the game's own bow, the ORO C9 Perforator Bow.
List of appearances
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
- Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
- Turok: Evolution
- Turok: Resurrection
Notes and references
- Dickson, Bill (March 4, 1997). "Weapons & Ammunition". Turok: Dinosaur Hunter manual. United States: Acclaim Entertainment. p. 12.
- @pripyatbeast (August 7, 2020). Here's the pitch doc for TUROK 5: Resurrection - have a great weekend y'all Twitter. Accessed August 13, 2020
|Weapons of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter|
|Weapons of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil|
|Weapons of Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion|
|Weapons and Items of Turok: Evolution|